Saturday, September 10, 2011

Surprise!

One of the things I have learned about myself in the past few years:  I have mad party plannin' skillz, yo.  Especially surprise parties.  Entertaining is in my blood, turns out.  My mother puts Paula Deen (ugh) and Martha Stewart to shame.  The Barefoot Contessa?  Puh-lease.  She was always throwing some sort of soiree when I was young.  She still does.  Her house looks like something straight out of Southern Living every time she puts together a dinner party.  She seriously missed her calling--she should have started her own business decades ago.  Evidently her penchant for partying has rubbed off on me.  From formal to uber casual (my favorite), if you need some social function thrown together, I'm your girl.  I wish someone would explain that to Hubby's mommy, but that's another post (coming soon to a computer near you).

Handmade invitations?  Notsomuch my thing.  I'm not great with things of the crafty variety.  Working out logistics, delegating, baking, or cooking?  I excel in those areas.

I started planning John's 40th birthday party back in June.  His birthday is Monday and all I have heard about his big 4-0 is, "Please don't go to any trouble.  I really don't want anything big."  Riiiight.  If there's one thing I know about my husband, its that there's nothing he loves more than his birthday and Christmas.  Except maybe an audience, and being the center of said audience's attention.  He loooooves to be "on stage", so I saw right through his pleas for not doing "anything big" for his birthday.  Child please.

He's been nosing around for the last couple of weeks.  Lingering about trying to eavesdrop on my phone conversations.  Wondering aloud what his parents might do for his big day.  Additionally, his story changed.  Every time I reminded him of his insistence that no one do anything for his birthday, I got, "Well, anything anyone wants to do would be much appreciated.  I just don't want anyone to go to any trouble.  Save that for Riley.".  Uh-huh. 

Earlier this week, Kelly, author of Southern Fried Children did a post titled "Who Wants to Party?" wherein she talked about a gala she was helping put together and asked her peeps to spread the word.  So, I posted it on my Facebook and tweeted the link.  Hubby sends me a text:  "You accidentally post something on Facebook?".  Huh?  What the hell is he talking about?  I called him: 

"What are you talking about?", I asked.  I was seriously confused. 

"I don't know, there's something on your page about a party and I opened it, but then I closed it 'cause I didn't know if it was about my birthday.", he explains.  Really?  Mr. I-Don't-Want-Anyone-To-Go-To-Any-Trouble thinks there's a party?  I had to refrain from laughing out loud.  Bless.  His.  Heart.

With all the seriousness I could muster, I replied, "Honey, you've told me repeatedly how you don't want anything big for your birthday, or at least that's what I understood you to say.  Which is unusual for you, and I figure there's a reason for it, so I have respected that and not planned anything.  Now it's less than a week away and I don't have time to plan anything.  So, I would really appreciate it, for my sake, if you would just LET IT GO!  You're really starting to make me feel guilty.".  I said it calmly but firmly.  We hung up.  Brilliant!  I can be a pretty good actress when I need to be!  And then I laughed my ass off. 

His family and two besties have been in on this since late July.  His family and I did a wonderful job of leading him to believe we weren't planning some big hoopla for his birthday.  Boy, did we have him snowed.  Everything had been meticulously planned, all the deets ironed out.  All I had to do today was run one errand, get dressed, and show up.  Ahhhhh, I love it when a plan comes together.

He went to the Wake/State game today.  His buddies drove, so he was at their mercy.  I was using my susta and her husband as a cover.  I sent him a text:  "Jen just called.  They have a LivingSocial deal to Twin City Diner they wanna use tonight.  Riley and I are meeting them there around 7:30ish.  Get the boys to drop you off there after the game.".  My susta lives in High Point, but she's a coupon whore, so this is completely plausible.  And John's favorite restaurant is The Diner.  Perfect.  It was airtight.  And went off without a hitch . . . .





He didn't figure it out until he got to the restaurant.  I got him.  I got him good.  Thanks to all of you who helped me pull this off. 

 
It was a great, festive evening.  It was wonderful to be in the company of family and amazing friends.  I'm thinkin' maybe our monthly homie nights need to be reinstated.  I forgot how much fun this is!

No comments:

Post a Comment