Thursday, September 20, 2012

Groupie

Friday night Chuck and I were out and about and ran into a dear friend of mine. Upon seeing Chuck he asked, "You couldn't find any football games to go to tonight?"

"For whatever reason, he wants to hang out with me tonight", I replied.

"Well, if you were my Mom, I'd want to hang out with you too".

Yeah, that's why I love him.

Chuck and I had just picked up a new album from my favorite band. My very favorite band. Maybe it was having that old flame rekindled, but Chuck and I started reminiscing about my (and my susta's) experiences with them. You know, before all of their hard work paid off and they made it big. We were fortunate to be groupies when we were, really.

And groupies, we were. I prefer the term "bandwhore" as it more aptly describes our obsessive devotion and dedication to these boys.

My sister introduced me to them by first letting me hear their music, which was catchy, but I wasn't convinced. Then I saw them live. There were two back-to-back shows that weekend and I agreed to go with her to one. Immediately after that show, I found myself signing up to go to the second. I really wanted to go but I didn't understand why. I didn't need to, I guess. I just knew I loved seeing them live.

Following these boys has led to us attending shows in three states (two of them in one weekend), standing in lines for hours to ensure our preferred spot (at the stage, of course), CD signings, talking to them after shows, pictures, and obsessively checking their tour dates. Chuck's first show was in Raleigh. He got his guitar signed and got the first string broken on one of the boy's instruments given to him after the show. That night, his aunt and I were rock stars in his eyes. He was amazed. He was starstruck by them, it was obvious. And I could relate all too well.

He had that same look on his face Friday night. One of amazement and wonder as I showed him pics of his auntie and me in a magazine, a finger pick I scored from one of the shows, told him of conversations had with them. Through our devotion to this particular band, we were exposed to many other awesome talents. His jaw dropped when I told him about his mother hosting one of the bands overnight after a local show. (It was like 10 degrees that night and they were gonna sleep in their van. We just couldn't have that, now could we?). Chuck laughed as I  told him about the band's lead making a sandwich in my kitchen at like 2 a.m.

His aunt and I also threw a house concert for another band we fell in love with while chasing these boys. In other words, we excel at bein' bandwhores. We are so good at it.

Thinking over my conversation with Chuck before I went to bed that night, the more I thought my friend was right. I am pretty damn cool (to be a mom, that is). Seeing as how most teenage boys view their mothers as being lame, out-of-touch and ignorant, if me and my sister are cool enough to be heroes in his eyes (at least for one night), I'll take it.

I think I'd wanna hang out with me too, if I were my Mom. Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment