Sunday, September 9, 2012

My Day? Made.

A couple of weeks ago I was at a local merchant standing in line to check out. There was an older gentleman in front of me loading his purchases into his cart at a snail's pace. He turned to smile at me as he was gathering his things. For the love of God, could you please hurry up?! I thought.

He was dressed to a tee and very well groomed. Hair just so, mustache finely trimmed, big blue eyes. You could tell at some point in his life he was a bit of a ladies' man. Admittedly, I just wanted him out of my way; I was running late to a date with my Mom. He finished his business and headed out of the store.

As the cashier was ringing me up she says, "Oh shoot! I forgot to give him his receipt." I told her I would give it to him on my way out, as I didn't think I'd have a problem catching up with him.

Sure enough, he was slowly loading his car. "Sir, the cashier forgot to give you your receipt", and I handed it to him. He smiled. I took his cane out of his cart and offered to take his cart back in the store.

"Are you this nice to everyone?", he asked. I winked at him and replied, "Well, I was raised right, but I'm only this nice to the good-looking ones." At this point he was grinnin' like a Cheshire cat.

By this time he had slyly slipped his arm around my waist. "You see that convertible behind me?" I nodded yes. "Why don't you just go ahead and get in, I'm taking you home with me, sweetie."

Now I was grinnin' from ear to ear. I wished him a good day and hurried to meet my Mom, smiling the entire way.

Sometimes it pays to slow down. Sometimes it pays big. I have no idea if I did anything for his mood, but he sure made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment