Monday, September 10, 2012

Mommy Hell

If there is such a place, I qualify. I have qualified long before now.

The latest reason? A word I have dreaded since my youngest was born: daycare.

I cannot continue this post without saying that stay-at-home moms rock. Shitty diapers, teaching, feeding, blessed naps, baths, temper tantrums at just the ideal times--the list is endless. Not to mention the isolation. All of that on top of managing and running a household: cleaning, cooking, shopping. Amazing.

I was ecstatic at the idea of staying home with Skinky, as I did not have the opportunity with Morgan or Chuck. I have long known that whatever fiber women possess to do all of that and be completely happy and fulfilled I do not have. It has been just recently that I have accepted it.

Truth is, it damn-near killed me. Literally.

So his father and I have been mulling over the decision to put him in daycare. My husband has been hounded and nagged. We must find some consistent childcare. It simply has to happen. I can't keep doing this! And it does have to happen. For many reasons. The most pressing being my effin' sanity.

Countless hours of research, talking to other moms, phone calls, more phone calls, appointments, and tours have led to Riley's full-time enrollment at a daycare. He starts Wednesday. Ugh.

With all of my bitchin', I should be excited. Relieved even, right? Wrong. Somehow all this means is that I have failed and I am just throwing my child away to be looked after by strangers. My goodness, I have been moping around acting as if I am sending him to juvie. I feel selfish and inadequate for "not havin' what it takes".

Riley could use some socialization and I know it will all work out. It will, right?

I sure hope so. I am having to draw off others' experience here. They all tell me it gets better.

Furthering my insanity is not an option, so I must take this leap of faith. 'Cause after all, if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy; this I know to be true.

Y'all say a lil' prayer for me Wednesday mornin'. Oh my.


2 comments:

  1. I sympathize completely . . . it took me about a year to realize I didn't have what it takes either. Since then I've chosen to put four kids in daycare, at least part-time and they and I are better for it. It will get easier - but not this week. I cried every time. Every once in a while I still have a day when arms are flung around my neck and they just want me to stay. Those days are REALLY hard. But in the end, I know we are both benefitting. The time we do get to share together is more meaningful and purposeful and my kids are learning how to be happy without me too. It will be ok!

    I love the nickname Skinky by the way - cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of you as I was writing this!

    ReplyDelete